Strategic vision & mission statement development
- Top Management Consulting
- Development of a cognition strong vision
- Involvement of internal multipliers
- Visualization & Leadership Tools
MLI Corporate Vision Building - So that the strategy does not end up in files but in heads
Nine out of ten strategic initiatives disappoint the expectations placed in them!
The MLI’s vision-building process helps management teams ensure this doesn’t happen. It ensures systematic coordination among the top decision-makers and at the same time involves all affected stakeholders from the outset. This creates an exciting story about the future of the company, which helps to stay on course in the hustle and bustle of everyday life and not to lose sight of the essentials. The special, remarkable presentation and communication of the strategy serves to activate both conscious and intuitive thinking.
Mode of action of the MLI Strategy-Vision-Building process:
The process of developing a mission statement works on several levels:
- It creates maximum consistency within the top management of the company,
- it involves all affected stakeholders from the outset,
- it identifies conflicting mindsets and hurdles to overall success,
- it uses the collective experiential knowledge and creative potential to concretize the way to implement the vision,
- it ensures strong identification and motivation by communicating the context to all employees in a clear and comprehensible way,
- it creates a powerful communication and decision-making tool for setting priorities and managing one’s own behavior in everyday life.
Services of the MLI:
- Consulting top management by analyzing the effectiveness of existing strategies and target images, agreeing on a unified framework within the management team, designing an optimal process with maximum activation of the organization
- Interactive development of relevant content by means of in-depth interviews, focus groups and future labs using the methods of design thinking (moderation and preparation)
- Brain-friendly visualization and processing, matching the corporate culture
- Effective leadership tools for communicating the vision, for example
- An activating PREZI presentation for top management
- Folding cards for all stakeholders with vision and key strategic content
- Team Vision Workshops & Train-the-Trainer Leaders
- Digital formats and virtual classrooms to unlock strategy and vision in a fun way
- Didactic design of strategy days and learning weeks
How we proceed:
To develop your vision, the MLI uses the following six-step process:
- Identification of the key people who are of particular importance for the implementation of the strategic goal
- Systematic survey of perceptions and expectations – analysis of the greatest similarities and contradictions
- Joint alignment and creative elaboration of the strategic narrative, i.e. the inspiring story about the future of the company
- Visualization of the vision, including the opportunity for all employees to provide feedback on the first draft
- Effective and interactive communication to all employees to clarify their own contribution, as well as identification and inner commitment
- Translation of the vision into concrete goals and key results
Methodology for interactive vision and mission statement development
MLI Future Labs are a science-based format for harnessing collective experiential knowledge and creative potential.
They combine central aspects of design thinking with the findings of Professor Thomas Malone’s chair at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The latter has identified four factors that, when combined, maximize the intelligence of teams:
- A common guiding question,
- a diverse group that combines different perspectives on the relevant topic,
- a structured process that guides the thinking of the group,
- facilitation that ensures that everyone contributes equally, if possible, and that non-verbal communication is also included in the outcome.
The MLI experts ensure these factors by using a special moderation technique (rapid facilitation).
Schematic representation MLI Future Labs
MLI Strategy Cards
The MLI strategy cards are a “memorable”, identity-creating and visually appealing tool to present the common strategic vision and to anchor it as presence knowledge in the organization.
They can be used in a variety of ways and thus adapted to customer needs, for example as folding cards with all relevant information on the reverse side, as high-quality art prints on aluminum that decorate the walls of meeting rooms or the cafeteria, as explanatory films on the intranet or as playing cards. In this way, both conscious and intuitive thinking are aligned with the shared vision and those success-critical situations that have the greatest influence on whether the strategy is lived out in everyday life.
For example, the MLI vision-building process helped increase employee engagement by 54% in 12 months during a global transformation project involving 7,000 acting stakeholders.
Sebastian Morgner is Managing Partner of the MLI Leadership Institute. He specializes in working with top management to establish the framework of a strategic vision and to design a mission statement development process that maximizes activation among stakeholders.